WHAT IS SCWW?
L&A Seniors Outreach Services is encouraging adults aged 55 and over to utilize our program “Senior Center Without Walls. It is a fun and interactive seniors centre from the comfort of home. We have implemented this programming to continue to adapt to the changes our community is constantly facing especially during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Because it is difficult to get out and be part of the community right now, Senior’s Centre Without Walls is a great alternative to utilize! It is a free telephone based, dependable support group and learning center.
Making a simple call connects participants to the conference sessions that include a wide variety of programming. This programming includes everything from educational presentations, fun social interactive games, fitness, readers group and much more. It’s fun, free and easy!
Try it out, spread the word. For more information give Brittany a call at 613-354-6668 Ext. 110
How does it work?
- Programs are multi-person phone conversations (or conference calls).
- No special equipment needed – any phone will do.
- Participants can call themselves into the program, or we can call them.
- Each phone session averages 8-10 people on the call
- Membership & Registration is required by calling Brittany at 613-354-6668 ext 110
No one is immune to the psychological and physiological toll of COVID-19 and its related restrictions. For older adults, the heightened fear of contracting the virus, a sudden decrease in in connectivity and/or the loss of outside supports, not able to hug your loved ones, can make your situation more difficult and challenging. As Hunger is a warning sign to eat, and is essential to our very survival. Likewise, loneliness is a sign that we need connection with others. We are physiologically and psychologically designed for connection. We are Social beings.
Research indicates that lonely people have higher levels of activated viruses in their system and are at a greater risk of suffering with chronic inflammation linked to, Type 2 diabetes, arthritis, heart disease and suicide. While obesity increases your odds of an early death by 20%, loneliness increases your odds by 45%.
To combat loneliness and assist those that are isolating themselves due to fear of contracting the virus, Seniors Outreach Services is implementing a new, FREE telephone/on-line virtual based seniors’ activity program, “Seniors Centre without Walls” (SCWW) with funding provided by the United Way of Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington Emergency Community Support Fund.
What is it?
Seniors’ Centre Without Walls is a nationwide initiative that began with the Good Companions Seniors’ Centre in Ottawa where it has been running successfully for a number of years. The Seniors Centre Without Walls (SCWW) program provides free recreational activities over the phone with a group of other older adults in the community. SCWW works to minimize financial, transportation and environmental barriers for its participants.
Some of the programs offered
- Average of 3 activities per day such as
- Educational/learning workshops for Health & Wellness and financial/legal tips
- Brain teasers,
- Games such as bingo, “Family Feud”, finish the lyrics
- Travelogues, biographies, book club….and more
- Average of 3 Fitness classes per week such as
- Chair Yoga
- Gentle Stretch
Who can participate?
- Seniors 55+ and must be a member of Seniors Outreach Services
- Servicing Lennox & Addington County
What are the benefits to you?
- Just need a telephone …NO computer is required
- Creates community and friendships, feel part of a group….from the comfort of your home
- Removes barriers – relieves isolation and loneliness
- Enhances existing seniors’ programs